Sunday, September 28, 2008

more "Dunc 'n' Loo" for yoo!

Here is a bundle of stories from the third issue of Around The Block With Dunc 'n' Loo. This series' title would be shortened to plain ol' Dunc 'n' Loo with the next issue. The series lasted eight issues. I guess it was too good to last too long!

I don't want to take away from Drawn & Quarterly's upcoming reprint of this fine, fine, super-fine series. I just don't have anything else on hand to post this morning!

I'm impressed by the division of character focus in this series. Dunc and Loo are rarely in the same story together. They cross paths with the same characters, and embody the same settings, while they independently go about their business.

These first two stories, "Bombs Away" and "Ghost Story," feature neighbors Beth and Buddy. Dunc and Loo each struggle to impress and woo lovely Beth. Her interest comes with a price. She has a hulking, psychotically devoted sibling who clings to her like white to rice.

"Bombs Away" features Dunc and his younger brother Joey. Joey is another Stanley kid doomed to violin lessons. He is almost as devoted to his instrument as is Lulu's Tubby Tompkins.

"Ghost Story," a Loo feature, takes us into the bowels of the Airy Arms Apartments. It's yet another instance, in Stanley's world, of a sinister "inner world" waiting, amidst the mundane surroundings, to swallow up his protagonists.

Down in these depths live the building's superintendent, Mr. Klinka, and his wife. I can't imagine they have a decent view!

Both stories also feature the swift application of a bucket of water--with different motivations and outcomes.

I've chosen to run these stories out of order from their original 1962 publication.

For dessert, there's a two-pager featuring Dunc and some smelly garbage. It also ends with a...well, that's a spoiler!

Enjoy the charm and verve of Bill Williams' artwork on this series. I wish he and Stanley had worked together more often!







* * *







* * *


1 comment:

Gabriel said...

Just Four issues?!
That's a sad news. I kind of feel as if a cat was scratching my back while it miaows a sad song. And the worst of it all is that that's not solution yet.
I've just see the last post of The Carters by David Lasky and the beautiful sample of the Gasoline-Alleyed strip. I think it's a pity that the "Poor Valley" logo vanishes off the book. But, hey!, you're the genii :) I really like your work and I'm a little exicited.
From a very susceptible man to quality.